FIRE IN THE KITCHEN
Last Tuesday a warning given in passing worked like a charm. I have in my buildings here two little fire-extinguisher can things. When I placed them, I told the kids who are here a lot what they are for...thinking that'd never be useful information for them.
Last Tuesday Erntz was cooking supper on my gas grill. The new grill had a new hose that was short. To make matters worse, the tank developed an audible leak when the handle turned a certain way. We were being careful with it. It mid-meal-prep, I was in the next building hanging a wire where I put a white sheet used as a screen for DVD projection. The three guys who were in the kitchen come flying in with the fire extinguisher in hand. "ANDY! ANDY! THERE'S A FLAME ON THE TANK!"
I buzzed right into the kitchen shaking the can. There was indeed a flame coming out of the top of the 22lb. propane tank! The guys heard the flame jump from the stove to the tank and rightly left the building...can extinguisher in hand. I approached the tank shooting the stuff on the flame, and the flame went out. I twisted the valve closed, and all was well. I was so proud of the guys for doing the right thing in an emergency situation.
I'm thankful to God that nothing dramatic happened that day. We fixed the hose making it at
Leave a Reply.
Missionary in Haiti.